Tuesday, June 21, 2005

San Fran and it's motivation...

I usually visit San Fran a couple of times a year. Each time, I am amazed at the difference between the people here in the Midwest and the people in that city. I am awed by the restaurants, the farmers markets, and the appreciation the San Frans have for the fresh, the home-grown, the beautiful.

Every time I come back, I am motivated to only buy organic, to fix every meal my family eats from scratch, and to spend more money on what goes into our mouths and less on "stuff."

And every single time, a couple of months out from my last visit, I find myself stuck in the same old rut....wondering how I ended up back in the land of tacos and casseroles.

That's when I need to go back to San Fran...to regain my motivation.

Everyone should go to San Fran. Just once. Or, maybe, like me -- a couple of times a year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kara said...

There is a beautiful cookbook put together by the Junior League of Oakland, CA called California Fresh Harvest: A Seasonal Journey through Northern California that groups recipes by the four seasons. (You can find it on amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0961374411/qid=1119369172/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-9484397-7859210?v=glance&s=books) There is also a produce chart in the back of the book to tell you when specific fruits and vegetables are at their best, as well as food-related side notes about San Francisco and other Northern California cities. We are lucky in the Bay Area to have a lot of great produce available year-round and I have forgotten what it's like "back East," especially in the middle of winter when everything looks grey. This book will put you back on track with inspiration when the Ferry Plaza Farmer’s Market is a foggy memory and you find yourself in a casserole rut. By the way, when is your next visit?!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home