Thursday, July 14, 2005

Today...

I've just been doing a lot of thinking lately about how to balance life, you know? Sometimes it seems like it's so difficult to do it all right, but not "too" right. Sometimes I do a really fab job making healthy food for my family, sometimes I'm a really good friend to my friends, to the environment, to myself. Most of the time I am marginal at best at all of these things.

With all of the research I do about how to live healthfully, most of the time it's about the health of my body, not the health of my soul. I wonder why I tend to think that "body" health is more important????

The book, "The Schwarzbein Principle" talks about making an effort to take care of the emotional self, too. At the risk of sounding like a 14 year old, "Duh!!" How can we not think about how our minds impact our bodies...about how stress impacts our adrenal system, for example.

A friend asked me the other day about how to support herself during her pregnancy so she wouldn't have thyroid issues after having the baby. That's a tough question! What part of our lives isn't connected to our hormones, to our adrenal system? The really tough question...once it's broken, how do we fix it?

I guess I'm in a rut lately. When do I take care of myself? I take care of my kids, I try to take care of my job, I try to take care of my friends, and I do a lousy job taking care of my husband...and then there's me. Wow. And I expect my body to work perfectly?

I guess the challenges of having a part-time husband are taking their toll, too. Where's the guide book? The secrets?

I always hesitate to talk about my emotional self. I feel uncomfortable doing it. In fact, this whole post is awkward. Yet, how can I ignore an entire portion of my being?

Maybe today I'll try to take a moment for myself. I'll try to stay away from e-bay, from my message boards, from my e-mail, from my research, from my kids, from my husband on the phone, from swim lessons, and friends I should call. Maybe I'll just listen to some music I really love and be quiet.

I'll tell you how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home